Tuesday, February 17, 2015

How Eroding Trust Hurts Companies Both the selling of personal information for commercial purposes, or break-ins exposing sensitive information to the bad guys are increasingly a risk today. If these problems are not solved, it will eventually hurt the end user, and if companies and industries don't protect users on their own, the government could step in and force them to do the right thing. I love all the innovation and trends in the wireless, telecom, television, Internet and tech space. However there is also a big warning light flashing ahead that no one is paying attention to...trust is eroding. Trust is a delicate thing and is being ignored. Innovation is great, but if we don't protect the privacy and personal information of users, they will lose trust and that will bite us in the end. There are so many examples. Here are three to think about. One, we learned a few days ago how Samsung Smart TV records its users' voices and they sell that information to advertisers without customer permission or knowledge. They discuss it in the terms and conditions, but who reads that? I don't know about you, but I cherish my privacy. There are times when I know there is little or no privacy and I watch what I say. However, when I am alone in my home or office, I consider that my safe zone. That was until Samsung crossed the line. If Samsung is doing it, what other TV manufacturers are doing the same, or worse? Plenty, I fear -- and likely not just from the TV. Two, Congressman Edward Markey says automobiles sold today contain information systems that can be broken into by hackers. Of course, this information can also be sold by the automobile industry for commercial reasons. Right now automakers appear to be either unaware of the dire implications, or simply don't care. That's another problem. Government Intervention Markey is asking the world's automakers to create mandatory safeguards. He says that today's cars are collecting mountains of sensitive and private information about personal driving habits, locations driven, and history. Bad guys, or even good guys such as third-party advertisers, would be very interested in getting their hands on this information. Three, Facebook put a fork in protecting user information a long time ago. They don't hide it, but they still do it. They simply state that if you want to use our service, you have to play by our rules. Fair enough. However, there is no other Facebook for users to turn to. This is another real problem. So what's the solution? Should the government proclaim that Facebook's success in owning its segment of the market makes it a monopoly -- and therefore it should be controlled by the government? This is a problem that companies are creating for themselves. They think it's OK not to pay attention to users' concerns. This sets the stage for dramatic customer action -- and that is the last thing that companies want to deal with. This is the problem that companies don't realize they are facing by ignoring the end user. Companies that don't take care of their customers, their workers and their partners, eventually pay a very high price. Companies should work hard to protect users' privacy and information if customers want this. Simple Solution The question I have is: Will users ultimately get so upset about how companies are playing fast and loose with their personal data, that they finally push back? The solution is simple: Leave it up to the customer to choose. Everything should be turned off unless the customer decides it's ok to listen in. Give the customers the pros and cons and let them make the decision. There will still be plenty who opt in. If so, they can flip a switch and let their personal information out. If not, they can protect themselves. Simple solution right? Why then, are companies not paying attention yet? Remember when the word came out that smartphones were able to track a user's location and activity? There was pushback. However, when customers discovered there was benefit to this, most opted in. Now, many people like getting location-based information and special offers pushed to them. So users are willing to make the tradeoff of privacy for features. That is what's missing currently. The choice is not given to the end user. Some people are ok being tracked, but others are not. Why don't they count? I think if the industry keeps pushing ahead with little or no regard to the personal privacy and preferences of its users, it will come back to bite them in the rear end in a variety of ways. Both the selling of personal information for commercial purposes, or break-ins exposing sensitive information to the bad guys are increasingly a risk today. As Congressman Markey noted on the automotive privacy issue, it's all part of the same ball of wax. If these problems are not solved, it will eventually hurt the end user, and that will hurt all companies that are blindly playing along. Remember, every coin has two sides. Of course, if companies and industries don't protect the end users on their own, the government could step in and force them to do the right thing. That's the threat that Congressman Markey represents. So the bell is ringing. I hope that companies and industries choose to acknowledge the problem and do the right things on their own. One way or another, something will be done. Wrapping Up One, the simplest solution is to give the customer the choice to opt in or opt out. Two, the next solution is to make sure you protect your users from break-ins. Perhaps this is something that can come from these companies themselves, or perhaps it can be a solution similar to the way that Norton Anti-Virus or McAfee protects us. There is still plenty of work that has to be done, and plenty of conversations that should be had and plans that should be made, but the bottom line is we can no longer ignore this glaring issue. Either industry must solve these problems or the heavy-handed government will do it for them. The choice seems clear to me. That's the choice we now face. Please provide you constructive feedback in respect to the article. How do you feel about the privacy issues or lack thereof that companies are now providing to you, the end user of their services? Would you like to have an opt-in or opt-out option for each website you visited? Why or why not would this work? What are the responsibilities of the business to utilize this personal information?

9 comments:

  1. In regards to this article I believe it is very wrong how society has begun to use technology in such a wrong way, without telling people that they are constantly being watch or listened to that they have zero privacy. It makes it seem so wrong and worries me to think when this happening in today's society. In my perspective it is creating a bad reputation on companies as their customers will no longer trust them. This may not make everyone stop buying products but it'll for sure make them look more in to the products that they are buying. Yes I would like to have an option on if people can track my every move on the internet or watch or listen to me over a tv. I believe that this is something I should have control over even if I may not change much. Although I would like to have this option on whether my every move on the internet should be tracked, this would be a very difficult thing to do. This would mean putting a pop up in place to ask viewers to the sight if they can be monitored or something along that line. Adding something like that could really slow down the internet and could be a way for people do stop visiting certain sites. Also, it could make people uncomfortable to visit a site as they get asked if it's fine if they are being tracked. If companies continue getting our personal information they should be using this information for their personal use or for them to grow, not for them to sell to just anybody and for peoples personal information to be leaked out in to the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel that this whole privacy thing is a bit shady. Companies nowadays seem to want to know everything about you, and it is kind of scary. Not that I believe that they are out to get you, but some of it really seems unnecessary. And now we are beginning to have concerns that they are trading our information willy nilly. I really do like that companies are offering more privacy services for their customers. But what worries me is that that they might not care what they do with it. Personally, I don't feel comfortable that companies can just trade your information away. However, on the subject of opt ins and opt outs, I feel that an opting in page on every web page I visit would just be to much of a hastle. One thing that I see a lot of, is that companies tell you that they use cookies, but you cannot disable them. I think things would work much better with a simple option to disable cookies for your particular visit. I would feel a lot more secure. If I wanted to use cookies on a particular site I would. But if I didn't, I wouldn't. But I see that such an option may increase hardship for a lot of operating systems. I think that there needs to be a lot more responsibility and transparency when businesses take your information. And not just stuff in the fine print either. a nice big, easy to read message that says what they do with the information. If you take time to support a company, the least they can do is not screw you over in the long run by selling your information to people who would do you ill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that companies feel the need to know just too much information about their customers! I understand that companies what to know more about their customers and what types of lives they lead to help them market their products but a lot of it is just unnecessary. I think that having an opt in or opt out option could be beneficial and make me safer but that just turns into to much of a hassle and then I'm going to wonder if that option is actually doing me any good because how would I know. I think the only way an opt in or opt out option would be beneficial if you could some how set it up so the first time you enter a cite you choose your answer and then from them on it is set and of course allowing you to change your answer at any point in time. I only suggest this because I think the average person has a hand full of sights they check on a regular basis and having to choose the opt in or out option every time would get rather annoying. As for the responsibilities of businesses who gather our personal information, I think society as a whole today needs to become more aware of this. I don't think we are educated enough about this. I also think that the businesses who are gathering this information need to be more upfront with their customers and offer then the choice for their participation. If businesses were more upfront about this and giving us the choice and telling us what the information being gathered was used for, I think a lot more people would have an open mind and there wouldn't be so much negative feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I think about myself as a customer to any company I don't want them knowing any of my information, it is sad that these days you can't make a purchase without having to give up so much of your own personal information. Shouldn't it be simple. In the above article it says the simplest solution is to leave it up to the customers, which I completely agree with, it should be our decision if we give up our information or not, if we choose to be private or not. I would like the option to opt-in or opt-out I think that everyone would. People like to have a choice in most matters of their lives, and for websites I believe that a lot of people would like the option as well. However I don't think that this would work because of is every single website going to be able to keep track of every person trying to get onto the website, it is unrealistic. The responsibility of any business with any customers private information is to keep it private. If any business was to let out any customers information there would be a big upset and they could get in a lot of trouble for that. That is why any businesses taking peoples personal information need to be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My privacy is very important to me and I try to protect. I shred documents to avoid identity theft, but never actually thought of devices "peeping" in on my personal discussions. I like the idea of an "opt in" switch on each website, because it gives the consumer a choice. I believe this is a great idea, but all websites would have to agree, or it would have to be legislated somehow. It will then make the user more aware that "Big Brother" is watching. Businesses have a social responsibility to protect its customers private information. If the business chooses not to protect this information, they will lose in the end financially.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The world has become less private through the years and not all of that is to do with companies asking or taking personal information. Social media has attributed to less privacy. People now-a-days post anything of everything on the internet and then get mad when their privacy is invaded. Hate to break it to you, but that's what social media is. However, companies seem to be needing a lot of information from their customers just to get by. Do you really need my banking information for that? Can't I just buy my items and leave?
    If there was an opt-in or opt-out option for EVERY website I visited I probably wouldn't use the internet as much. It would turn people off, maybe not because it takes a few seconds to do so, but because they know that every single thing they do is monitored. If this was to become the constant, however, people would probably just get used to it.
    If a business was to gather personal information from their customers then they have the responsibility to not send it out to the world for anyone to use. If they were to do this they would lose a lot of customers and their credibility.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the article address the most current issues in regard to privacy in the net. Additionally, I agree with most of the ideas and suggestion from the article. However there is still freedom for the user when deciding buy or not to buy those new gadgets and technology. As a user we still having the option of not participating in the this new era of technology and being apart from social media, new vehicles that can be monitored , and new gadgets that shares our information. At the end we still having the last word

    1.How do you feel about the privacy issues or lack thereof that companies are now providing to you, the end user of their services?

    As an end user, I don't feel so much concern about my privacy when acquiring new technology in the way of hardware, software, or content in the net. For the simple reason that I am not 100% honest giving or sharing my information. when buying those new technological gadget, I am very careful about what is on and what is off about my privacy. And if there is any requirement to disclose my information, I won't say the truth.

    2.Would you like to have an opt-in or opt-out option for each website you visited? Why or why not would this work?

    Before stating my preference, I would like to cite the meaning of those two modes of website privacy. According to Motive Glossary (http://www.motive.co.nz/glossary/opt-in.php?ref) those are the difference.
    An opt-in policy requires a potential customer to self-select the services they wish to subscribe to, and how any information they provide may be used. Also referred to as permission-based marketing. An opt-out policy is where an existing customer receives electronic communications—usually on the basis of a prior relationship—without providing express permission.

    Ideally, I would like to have an opt-in mode in all websites I sign in just to protect my privacy. As I mentioned above, the power and control I have over my privacy is extremely important. However, in reality, most websites have the opt-out mode on. In that sense, it is assumed that based on the relationship acceptance between the two parties, those companies can sign you in without your permission. That sounds to me really bad and scary.
    I think, This trend to pre-set an opt - out mode for websites won't change easily since they pursue marketing and profit purpose. They not only want your information but also the authorization to sell all kind of things without your express consent.

    3. What are the responsibilities of the business to utilize this personal information?

    Based on the article, I believe businesses have the main responsibilities to disclose all its marketing plans to users and protect their information.
    To my understanding, I strongly believe that companies must be honest with their users when trying to collect their information. Most of the time we sign in to different websites and programs without really knowing what are the final purpose for all this information. In that sse companies should be more clear in their purpose when asking user to sign in with them.

    Equally important as empowering users to take decision is also the guarantee of having protected the information we provide. As a user I expect my information be protected from any other purpose that the one I signed in. Bad guys and marketing piratas are always looking for information that can be used to reach users like me in different ways. Therefore, Companies must understand the privacy will be one of the most important features for users nowadays

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. I've always had a dis-taste for anything to do with privacy. I am not a trusting individual. I've been the victim of identity theft, and poor information handling. With all that my stance is this... if I never wanted to take the risk, I never did. If I felt uncomfortable, I would simply just back out and not use. But there HAS been a few times where I took the risk, only when there was something worth risking for (much like the Facebook debacle where I can take the risk, or just not do Facebook) I've also watched Ghost In The Shell for the majority of my life (12 years atleast) it is a series of stories based around the fact that people are giving themselves and their privacy up to technology. Most of their stories end with, "well that was a negative experience, but people will forget about it, because there is to great a desire to have whats new or to participate with the trends." People are willing to risk it to have what they want.

    2. Opt-In definitely. If I want to be a part of it, I'll do the work to be a part of it. I don't want to always have to remember to back out of every site I visit. It's to much work and memory.

    3. At this point, as long as the user doesn't sell their information to someone bad (such as identity thieves) then they can skate by no problem. Technically though, they shouldn't be sharing the information with anyone but themselves at the most.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This article is a great thing to read for a perspective of privacy. Some of these things i may not have even thought about before until now because it is simply easier to put everything in and not pay attention to terms and conditions. This does sometimes end bad for people who briefly go through things and miss important terms that could let out their information. I think it depends what websites you are on or what products you are dealing with, for privacy. There are definitely some websites that i would never feel comfortable sharing my private information with and some that i feel are a trusted website. Companies should work hard to create good privacy policies and gain trust with their users. I think an opt in and opt out option would be beneficial. Most people would opt in like myself because depending how much information it is, if its for something that i believe is something good i don't mind sharing some stuff. although if people do not want to share their information and are required to then they will just leave the site. if they can have an option it will keep traffic coming to the site. I think it would work fine because they would just need to have a button to give the option or not and simply have the person chose one or the other. I think companies gaining this personal information from people need to do everything they can to protect it and use it for purposes only intended to.

    ReplyDelete